Jeff Papier mercury at voicenet.com
Mon Aug 7 17:45:21 EDT 2000

Greetings ListFolk,

I received quite a few responses regarding my plea for Internet signup
ideas.

The ideas fell into two categories: automated and not.

Suggestions for automated systems included Pharos' ReserveIT module, SRI
and Cybraryn.  In _general_, those who suggested such systems had not yet
used them, or had only begun use.  It will be interesting to see
how long-term usage pans out (re two of the Major Categories of
Library Life at a Public Desk: Easy For Patrons or Not-So-Easy For
Patrons).

The non-automated solution came from a very creative librarian working at
Fairfax County Public Library in Virginia.  Her system involves time cards
clearly indicating the patron's time-slot and PC.  Since times and PCs are
clearly and boldly identified, patrons themselves can successfully work
out most scheduling conflicts with a minimum of fuss.

We've looked at all of these ideas.  Pharos (www.pharos.com) is just
way too expensive and labor-intensive for us right now.  Cybraryn
(www.cybraryn.com) got a so-so review on the Web4Lib archive.  I
downloaded some trial software, but the reservation module--the module in
which I have the greatest interest--was not part of the trial package.
And SRI (www.sri.bc.ca/library.htm) remains a bit of a mystery to us right
now, since the information SRI offers online is not as in-depth as that
found on Pharos, for instance.

The non-automated solution has piqued our interest, but the number of
public Internet PCs we have (approaching 20--a mixture of sign-up and
express) may make the number of cards too numerous to deal with.

Only one thing is certain for us right now:  we're going to be moving to
_some_ sort of self-signup system.  Our evaluation process continues.

Many thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.  This list remains a fine
resource.

Jeff Papier	mercury at voicenet.com
Senior Network Librarian
South Brunswick Public Library