[WEB4LIB] Netscape and tables

cmetcalf at uottawa.ca cmetcalf at uottawa.ca
Fri Aug 4 10:01:31 EDT 2000

Hi Bert and everybodeh,
'bout the table problem
<I'd like to position one table directly beneath another
table, why is it that NS and IE display the second table
next to the first instead of beneath it? >

I've spent hrs running into this situation again and again
for various pages.
Then had instances of pages that seemed to wrk fine:::I
don't know why this happens.
My solution in your case would be to use a single table.
insert two rows (of a single cell each). And then paste your
tables as you had
originally arranged your tables, placing the tables into
these two cells (one overtop of the other).

Netscape seems to better format appearances when they are in
a cell content.
I've been running a cascading stylesheet for some of my
pages.
Between IE and Netscape, the results are fairly identical.
but yesterday I noticed some of my page headers were not
properly font-formatted by the .css when
viewed in Netscape (while the body text of the page appeared
perfectly).

The headers were originally standing "on their own", above
and outside of tables
that stored the body text of my html pages.

When I placed the header in a single cell row
above but *within* the same table of perfect body text data
page), the .css was able to regain effect on the page and
control the
fontly appearance of the page's/data table headers.

weird. In either scenario, IE didn't kick up a fuss and
submitted to the rules the .css
imposed.

Cameron Metcalf
cmetcalf at uottawa.ca