Deep Linking--meant to send these replies to the list

Charles P. Hobbs chhobbs at cdrewu.edu
Wed Aug 2 14:56:21 EDT 2000

"GRAY, PAUL" wrote:> a. people setting up shop on the web without
respect to
its

> > existing 'culture'
> > (e.g. in general, it should be ok to make a link from
> > anywhere to anywhere
> > without asking permission)
>
> I take respectful issue here -
> A web site is the property of it's owner and they have every right to
> restrict access to any part of it they like -  Just as much as
brick&mortar
> business owner has a right to say -
> 'If you want to shop here - come in through the front door.'

If somebody puts in scripting, etc., to force most* browsers to go to
the home page if a "deep-linked" page is accessed first, I have no
problem
with that. (* I say most because there'll always be some odd-ball
browser
that doesn't observe the latest Javascript, cookies, or other
client-side
technology, and in that case, a stronger method is needed to keep people
out of where the webmaster thinks they shouldn't be)

Julia Schult wrote:

> "Charles P. Hobbs" wrote:
>
> > a. people setting up shop on the web without respect to its existing
'culture'
> > (e.g. in general, it should be ok to make a link from anywhere to
anywhere
> > without asking permission)
> >
> > b. people seeking *legal* solutions (and setting precedents) when
there are
> > perfectly fine technical solutions to keeping unwanted links away.
>
> Welcome to the Marketing Age.  Those of us who think this is the
Information Age
> are not on the same planet as the rest of the world.

They can market all they want, I don't care. My fear is a bunch of legal
precedents
that might turn out to bite us a few years down the road...

--
Charles P. Hobbs
King Drew Health Science Library