[WEB4LIB] Re: www.gop.gov

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Sat Aug 5 22:21:00 EDT 2000

>> How does a private, political party get a ".gov" site, anyway?

J> The RFC's have been obsoleted at least twice, but see RFC2146:
J> <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2146.txt>

J> Also, <http://www.nic.gov/cgi-bin/new-domain> seems to properly reference
J> RFC2146. Enforcement is the question.

J> As to what loophole the GOP made use of, or if there was even a loophole
J> for them to use, I don't know. I haven't the time to read the RFC at this
J> moment. I'm involved in others that are more relevant to my tasks at hand.

If one wants to fuss about the abuse of domain names, why not take on
the administration of .edu.  Theoretically those domains are limited
to four year academic institutions.  However, they've been issued to
junior colleges and even to K-12 public school districts in a number
of cases.  And then there are the proprietary trade schools that have
obtained them as well.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA