[WEB4LIB] RE: Chat for reference service?

Richard Wiggins wiggins at mail.com
Sun Apr 9 19:14:44 EDT 2000

At my institution, I was directed in 1996 to implement real-time chat as an
option for patrons, among other modes of connection (fill-in Web form,
e-mail, and of course telephone).

At the time, I argued vehemently against use of a chat room.  I believe
real-time text-mode chat is an extremely inefficient mode of communication.
People type at about the speed of a 110 baud connection.  Admittedly, I've
wasted many hours of my life since the 1970s doing real-time chats on
various systems, but I still think one can conduct a far more efficient
reference interview over the telephone than over real-time chat.

I lost that battle at my institution, and I doubt this message will dissuade
anyone else from implementing real-time chat as a reference medium.   The
lure of the chat siren is apparently too powerful.  But let me point out
from real experience one specific shortcoming of anonymous IRC as your
chosen tool: people tend to float into the chat room and spew out typical
chat-room chatter: flirting at best, vulgar abuse at worst.  Some sort of
queuing scheme that leads to an Instant Message two-way conversation is
better than an open chat room.

Caveat chatter.

/rich