Observations on Netscape 6

Tim Kambitsch kambitsch at DAYTON.LIB.OH.US
Thu Apr 6 13:36:52 EDT 2000

For those of you who might be interested, Netscape 6 has a new approach to
creating the menus and other elements of the browser user interface.  They call
it XUL.  By using a text editor and modifying XML files you can add, remove and
relocate menu and other interface items.

For instance, I just finished a 30 minute session of modifying the menus for a
PAC environment .  I removed most menus all together and eliminated pesky items
such as "Preferences", "Bookmarks" and "History", etc.

The file to edit is:  NavigatorOverlay.xul

The best thing about it that they _encourage_ editing the interface.  In the
old Netscape 4.x environment, such modifications required a C compiler
(resource editor) and making such modifications was of dubious legal status.

You can read more about XUL at:

    http://developer.netscape.com/tech/xul/

The biggest problem so far that I've encountered is that my well-honed Mission
Control custom auto-admin netscape.cfg files  are being ignored.  Does anyone
know what the future of Mission Control for Mozilla?

Tim