[WEB4LIB] mobile public library system

Edward Wigg e-wigg at evanston.lib.il.us
Mon Apr 3 13:06:05 EDT 2000

At 07:14 AM 4/1/2000 -0800, Bob Jones <bjonesxx at usa.net> wrote:
>I found this website the other day, and it struck me as very interesting.  I
>did not realize that advancements in wireless technology made this type of
>library system possible.  It seems this entire library system is comprised
>entirely of bookmobiles.  If they are able to do it with the number of
>bookmobiles they have, I should be able to do it with our two bookmobiles.
>
>http://www.geocities.com/wakita_county_library

I think the best bit is the mobile board room -- many of us probably think
that that is a wonderful place to start the trend towards total mobility
:-) And given the indignities that librarians seem to be happy to put up
with, 24 hour shifts and hot-bunking are probably not too much of a stretch.

Soon instead of just teaming fire engines and ambulances so that both are
always sent to calls we will be able to send a team of three vehicles: fire
engine, ambulance, and bookmobile, to handle both physical and
information-need emergencies (on the spot self-help books for accident
victims, reference service to research the best way to extract people from
burning buildings and so on).

Edward