[WEB4LIB] Printing charges

Caroline Geer geerc at letu.edu
Thu Apr 13 12:04:34 EDT 2000

I really need your help!

We will soon <read "hope to"> have a laser printer to network with our
public computers in the Library.  We would like to identify who is
requesting the print job and figure the cost so the requester can either
okay the print or not after they know the cost.  We use student i.d. cards
with barcodes which work for circulating books, using the cafeteria, or
making purchases in the bookstore.  We would like to have the i.d. reader
attached to each monitor, similar to the type of scanner at the grocery
checkout or the pay-at-the-pump system.

Does anyone have experience with a vendor that sells the software/hardware
for handling this type of queuing for print jobs?  It would be ideal if the
print request would come out with the person's name [at least] on either a
cover sheet, indicating [ideally] also the number of pages and total cost,
or the person's name on each page and the time/date of printing.

Thanks for your help and advice!!

Caroline Geer					Phone:  903.233.3271
Coordinator of Information Resources	Fax:       903.233.3263
Margaret Estes Library			URL:      http://www.letu.edu/academics/lrc
LeTourneau University
Longview, TX  75607-7001