Journal title database

Stacy Pober spober at manhattan.edu
Wed Apr 5 17:49:30 EDT 2000

I have Excel spreadsheets of the online and print journal titles we get
at our library.  I may create a combined online/print journal list as
well, and that's not a problem per se.  But I'd like to get some
statistical data out of these lists.  For example, I would like to get a
count of unique titles within the online database journal list (a lot of
titles are covered by multiple vendors).  And I'd like to see how many
of the print journals are covered in our online databases.

Can either of these questions be answered by doing some manipulation of
the data in Excel?  Do I have to put this data into something more
complex, such as a database program like Access?  I have avoided
learning to use Access up to now, and was hoping to continue with that
luck, but if it's the only way, I might as well know now.  <sigh>

Any other suggestions on how to get the statistics I'm looking for from
the data I have?  There's over 10,000 titles in the online title list,
so I don't think sorting them manually is going to be practical...

--
Stacy Pober, Information Alchemist
Manhattan College Libraries
spober at manhattan.edu