[WEB4LIB] Script to configure browser for proxy?

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Wed Apr 5 16:46:34 EDT 2000

Not too long ago someone sent some good URLs to this list of sites with
Windows Registry Information.  At one of the sites I viewed was the
Registry key to make a change to implement a proxy for Internet
Explorer, I'm not sure which version but it was only one branch in the
Registry.  Once a machine is set up for proxy you can export that key to
a .reg file.  Then the user should be able to download this file double
click it and have the proxy setting set.  Of course this is only a
solution for MS Windows and even at that you'll need to know which
version Browser is being used. I don't think it will matter if it is 95,
98, or 2000, the registry key is probably more specific to the browser
that implements it.  You should be able to do the same with the Netscape
key also.  Again this is only a Windows solution and I haven't tested
it.  Of course you would have to do an install of each browser and each
version you would want to support with this solution.

Thomas

ps. You might try www.regedit.com ( I just checked some bookmarks)

Alicia Abramson wrote:

> Has anyone configured a script to help users configure their Web browsers
> for a proxy server?  It would be so much easier if we could automate this
> part of the process of using a proxy server since so many users have
> difficulty with this--even with detailed instructions.  The most common
> error seems to be mis-typing the URL--with the wide range of computer
> skills out there, many people don't think to copy and paste the URL from
> our instructions page (or can't), and use ';' instead of ':' or just spell
> something wrong.
>
> Ideally, someone could "click here" to set up their browser and,
> presto-chango, it would be done!
>
> Has anybody figured out an better way than just providing instructions and
> a troubleshooting form? FYI, we use an automatic proxy configuration script.
>
> Thanks.
>
> *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
> Alicia Abramson
> Director, Library Information Systems
> University Library
> California State University, Sacramento
> abramson at csus.edu
> *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II             University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine