[WEB4LIB] RE: Netscape 6

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Apr 5 12:31:44 EDT 2000

Brent,

I would guess it's a marketing move by the AOL/Netscape people.
"Are you using IE 5.0??  Move up to Netscape 6!"

The product I downloaded today looks just like the Mozilla beta that's
available with a couple of changes [New Netscape animated logo, for example].
My understanding is that AOL/Netscape will use the Mozilla work as a base for
creating the Netscape variation of the browser.   I believe they essentially
"froze" one of the latest "builds" by the Mozilla team and will focus on
working out all of the bugs in it so that it can be made available
commercially.  The Mozilla team will continue to work on refining the browser.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI