Award BIOS Password

Brad Thomas bradzo at ozemail.com.au
Sat Apr 1 23:08:18 EST 2000

Hi Everyone

We had a need recently to remove the BIOS password from a
customer's system that we were upgrading - the owner did not know the
BIOS password (it was set up by another computer company).

No information was available about the motherboard either - so we did
a net search on "bios password"

The upshot of all this is that we found that there exists a "backdoor"
password for Award BIOSes. This works on BIOSes dated later than
1995 - try it on yours and see.

The backdoor password is 589589

This may be of help to those of you who set BIOS passwords on
PC's in public areas - you may have thought that setting a BIOS
password is one way of helping to safeguard the setup of the PC, but
since these backdoor password methods are now readily available
on the 'net, you should be aware that your systems may be compromised by
someone using these methods.

Here are some URL's
http://www.plonkatronix.co.uk/Bios_Cracks.html
http://www.sentinel.dircon.co.uk/bios.html