[WEB4LIB] Open Slather Internet

Brian Williams brianw at nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us
Wed Sep 29 11:19:50 EDT 1999

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 rtoohey at slv.vic.gov.au wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Does any library have "open slather" access to the Internet, databases,
> catalogues on all PCs?

"Open slather"? Sounds worse than I thought. We have some machines set to
only go to the services we feel are most important, but most of them are
available for all internet access.

> Does any library ration use by time allowed rather than by function
> (Internet, catalogues etc)?

We are headed in that direction. We're testing Pharos to provide a 60
minute a day time limit to the patrons that would be implemented on all
the internet pc's, at least. It's taken us a long time working with them
to get about half way thete, but I think it is going to work.

Note that Ameritech is going to come out with a product to help manage
access to pc's also in the near future.

We wanted a package that would tie back to our patron database in real
time for authentication, and the two above will do that.

Brian Williams			brianw at multnomah.lib.or.us
Automation Manager	  	5032044627 at mobile.att.net (pager)
Multnomah County Library	 (503) 248-5227 (v)
801 SW 10th  Portland, OR 97205  (503) 248-5226 (f)
		[ Can now UnJustify! ]