JOB POSTING: Information Architect position, Argus Associates

Louis Rosenfeld lou at argus-inc.com
Wed Sep 22 09:15:54 EDT 1999

Company: Argus Associates, Inc.
Position Title: Information Architect
Position Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

About Argus

Argus Associates (http://argus-inc.com/) is a leading information
architecture consulting firm. We specialize in the design of organization
and navigation systems that enable our clients to find and manage
information more successfully. Our information architects hold advanced
degrees in such fields as information science, librarianship, and
human-computer interaction.

We combine expert knowledge of information retrieval issues with experience
in the design of web sites and intranets for Fortune 500 corporations.
Using a proven methodology, we have created solutions for an impressive
array of clients that includes: AT&T, Encyclopaedia Britannica, Barron's
Online, Bell & Howell, Compaq, CSC, Dow Chemical, Ernst & Young, Borders
Books & Music, Daimler Chrysler, Goodyear Tire and Rubber, Henry Ford Health
System, Johnson & Johnson, Procter & Gamble, SIGGRAPH.

We have written the best-selling book on the subject, "Information
Architecture for the World Wide Web"
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/infotecture/) and present frequently at
international professional conferences on the topics of information
retrieval and information architecture design.

As a growing, entrepreneurial company, Argus provides a fun, fast-paced work
environment and tremendous opportunities to learn. At Argus, we believe in
conducting business with integrity, in our interactions with clients,
employees, partners, and members of the local community. Argus is located in
Ann Arbor, Michigan, which was named one of the "best places to live in
America" by Money Magazine (1998).

Position Description

The person we're seeking is a creative, team-oriented, entrepreneurial
individual with a background in information science, librarianship, and
human-computer interaction.

To succeed in this position, our future colleague should understand the
principles of information organization and user interface design. Primary
responsibilities will involve the development of information architectures
for web sites, intranets, and other information systems.

This work may include:

- Client Research. Learning more about our clients' organizations, their
goals, their users, and their content.

- Product Research. Exploring technologies that complement the abilities of
humans to add value to information.

- Information Architecture Design. Creating usable organization and
navigation systems.  Developing controlled vocabularies and thesauri.

- Client Management. Presenting ideas, leading discussions, and generally
collaborating with our clients to produce innovative solutions.

- Training. Facilitating knowledge transfer, so that our clients can design
and manage their own information systems.

This individual should have excellent communication, organization, and
management skills and should be comfortable maintaining relationships with
clients and colleagues.

Experience as a team member on information system development projects is
desired.

Since Argus is an entrepreneurial company, opportunities exist to be
involved in a diverse array of projects which may include writing and
speaking engagements.

Argus offers a competitive salary, profit sharing, performance-based bonus,
stock option plan, vacation, medical benefits, 401(k) plan, training, and
excellent career development opportunities.

Requirements

- Advanced degree in library and information science or human-computer
interaction.

- Experience designing and developing information systems.

How Do I Apply?

Applications reviewed starting October 1, 1999, until positions are filled.
Please send a cover letter and resume to resumes at argus-inc.com.  Acceptable
formats in order of preference include:

1) a Microsoft Word or HTML attachment

2) text in the body of the e-mail message