Locking down public access terminals

Peter Schlumpf schlumpf at nslsilus.org
Tue Sep 14 20:09:50 EDT 1999

I have the job of developing and deploying public access Internet
terminals.  These will be running Windows 95 and Netscape Navigator
standalone (version 4.08).  By running Netscape in superkiosk mode (-sk)
and with a little Javascript I've been able to make these things
relatively tamper proof -- all the user sees is a browser screen with
just the basic navigation buttons, no access to browser settings, the
taskbar, etc.  What I still need to address is  to surpress dangerous
key combinations: CTRL_ALT_DEL, etc. and to eliminate the ability to
download files from the network using the browser.  I'd be very
interested in hearing about any software, hardware or methods that
anyone has employed to deal with these two problems (or any other
related security issues). I'm sure a lot of people have had to deal with
these problems before.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Schlumpf
North Suburban Library System