[WEB4LIB] Proxy Server to limit Internet access

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Mon Sep 13 16:09:16 EDT 1999

At 12:12 PM 9/13/99 -0700, jvisser wrote:
>  Now we're
>      thinking about routing all the PCs through a centrally located Proxy
>      Server which would only allow access to a select list of websites.
>      Has anybody tried this?  If so, what kind of problems have you
>      encountered?  Can anyone suggest a particular proxy server package?
>      Any thoughts you might have are appreciated.

This will work well.  We do it the other way, blocking sites instead of
giving a list of approved sites, but it will work the same.  We use, and
are very pleased with, www.winproxy.com and their product.  They give an
educational discount, and may give one to other nonprofits.

Since you're already locking the machines with WinSelect, you won't have
problems with folks bypassing the proxy server.

You can see a bit more info at http://www.84.com/blocking.htm.  There is
also some related info on the site.

Good luck.

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165