System Policy Editing, Full Control and Other Tales...

jay jay at ccpl.ci.corpus-christi.tx.us
Tue Sep 7 17:05:22 EDT 1999

   Hello:
I am going to cover familiar ground with this, but please indulge me if
you will...We are going to implement 6 Windows NT Workstations which
will essentially be used to access a Novell Network and the Internet. We
need some advice:

1. Can we use some sort of native application to give a warning to a
patron that their time is almost up (such as a pop-up menu saying, "you
have been on this workstation xx number of minutes, you have another
five minutes left." Then another pop-up when time is up... Tried using
Win-Pop earlier for this with mixed results. It would be preferrable to
do this programmatically.

2. The System Policy Editor can be used to restrict users to only the
specified applications set up by us. I am not exactly sure of how to do
this. I have had some experience with system policies, but I want to BE
SURE. If done incorrectly, it is quite easy to "lock oneself out of the
house."

3. The hard drive can be locked down to the individual file level (icons
and all)  with NT. I'm not really worried about this aspect, but wonder
if there are any little "tricks" that a hacker could deploy against us.

4. What about a web browser? Should we still use IKiosk to prevent
mischief with the web browser? Or is NT sufficient to keep users out of
bookmarks, etc.?

5. I've been asked about a product called Full Control. I plan on down
suggestions or lessons learned about this product?

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding the above.

Regards,

Jay H. Frantz,
Webmaster