Advice for librarians instituting public access to the 'net

Sue Kamm suekamm at class.org
Sat Sep 4 19:39:47 EDT 1999

In addition to security software, securing hard drives from downloads,
installing privacy screens, and equipping yourself with LOTS of patience,
librarians planning public access Internet workstations should consider
locking up the CPUs.  Especially when lots of children use the computers,
there is a tendency for users to try and "fix" problems by turning
machines off and on.

Train your public to report problems with computers to designated staff
rather than trying to "fix" problems themselves.

(I write this having spent the afternoon at a branch library, with 98
percent of my time taking signups, trying to get some machines back on
line, and getting payment for printouts.  For this I got a master's
degree?)

Your friendly CyberGoddess and ALA Councilor,
Sue Kamm
email:  suekamm at class.org
"I really love baseball.  The guys and the game.  And I love the
challenge of describing things.  The only thing I hate--and I know you
have to be realistic and pay the bills in this life--is the loneliness of
the road."
--Vin Scully