[WEB4LIB] IP authentication failure

Mary Elise Haug mehaug at incolsa.palni.edu
Fri Sep 3 18:02:16 EDT 1999

> Has anybody else run across this with their ISPs?  Our ISP says that
> using a Web cache is something more and more ISPs are doing to increase
> the speed of Web access.  If they are right, what other problems might
> we run into with Web caching?

I've seen this done by a number of ISPs. Another problem that proxies can
cause is the caching of dynamic content.  We run OCLC's SiteSearch
software as an interface to vendor databases.  I've run across several
situations where pages with search results were cached and returned to
multiple users.  Appearantly, the session id # within the url is being
ignored.  With most proxies you can create a rule that does not cache
pages with *sessionid* in the url.

Mary-Elise

*Mary-Elise Haug                 *"Not even computers will    *
*INSPIRE System Administrator	 * replace committees because *
*Email: mehaug at incolsa.palni.edu * committees buy computers   *
*Phone: (317) 298 6570,ext. 127  *       --- Edward Mead      *
*Fax:  (317) 328 2382            *                            *
*INSPIRE website http://www.inspire-indiana.net               *