[WEB4LIB] Re: web navigation

Prentiss Riddle riddle at is.rice.edu
Fri Sep 3 16:09:30 EDT 1999

> From amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us  Fri Sep  3 14:35:53 1999
> Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 15:40:44 -0400
> From: Andrew Mutch <amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us>
> To: Prentiss Riddle <riddle at is.rice.edu>
> Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] Re: web navigation
>
> I found this article to be one of the best I've read on web navigation ... I
> remembered it was one of those "lightbulb" moments for me as a newbie web page
> designer where it all started to make sense.
>
> http://webreview.com/pub/98/02/20/arch/index.html

Yeah, I like Rosenfeld and Morville's book, too.  I don't get the
impression that many people follow their advice, though.  They are very
set on the model of a database of abstracts of other pages and
sub-sites, something which I think has advantages and disadvantages --
it's one extra click for the user, which could be costly if you believe
the people who say each additional click loses some high percentage of
your audience.

Until recently I didn't know of any university which followed their
model, but the new Yale site comes close.

-- Prentiss