[WEB4LIB] Graphics Questions

Charles P. Hobbs transit at primenet.com
Fri Sep 3 13:44:43 EDT 1999

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, jay wrote:

> Hello Ladies and Gentlemen:
>
> I would like to know if anyone has ever taken a color photograph in
> either .jpeg or some other format and converted it to a black and white
> image. I have heard that Adove Streamline does that. ...Unfortunate,
> since I don't have the program and don't plan on purchasing it for this
> expressed purpose. I do have access to Adobe Photoshop, and I would be
> willing to bet that there is a way to do it in Photoshop.

At least in my version of Photoshop (3.0.5), you can choose different
graphic modes (I don't have it in front of me, so I forget the exact menu)
such as RGB Color, CMYK Color, Indexed Color, etc.

One of the modes is "Grayscale", and if you select that while displaying a
color image, Photoshop will throw away the colors, leaving you with a
monochrome image.

You can also twiddle with the color saturation in Photoshop too, reducing
the saturation (color) level down to the minimum.