[WEB4LIB] Re: Blocking free mail services

Shirl Kennedy skenned1 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Sep 1 20:02:55 EDT 1999

Bravo, Dale!

We're a major tourist destination, and we also have lots of seasonal
residents.  Providing access to Web-based e-mail is Just Something We Do.
(We also issue temporary cards to these folks, even if they are staying in
motels.)  Needless to say, this also benefits our local folks who don't have
home computers...including numerous grandmas and grandpas exchanging e-mail
with "the kids" up north.  People sign up for their slot at an Internet
workstation.  If they want or need to do e-mail or chat...well, they way I
look at it, if you start  limiting "recreational" use of library resources,
let's get rid of two-thirds of the video collection, the romance novels,
thrillers, mysteries, etc.

Shirl (give the people what they want) Kennedy
Web Doyenne
City of Clearwater (Florida)
http://www.clearwater-fl.com

We are not afraid to entrust the American people
with unpleasant facts, foreign ideas, alien philosophies,
and competitive values. For a nation that is afraid
to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an
open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.
     -- John F. Kennedy