What to save and how to do it?

Gary E.Masters gmasters at tamiu.edu
Wed Sep 1 10:45:23 EDT 1999

I find the interesting point about paradigm shifting is that there seems to
be two sorts of people in the world (those who think there are two types
and those who don't -but that is not my point) one group that saves and the
other that does not.  I call them savers and tossers.  At every occasion
when the subject comes up, the savers are happy with ways (even new ways)
to save and the tossers make their points.

I personally would like to see what was lost from the library at
Alexandria.  The plays of Sophocles would be interesting to me.  Also, I
read that half of the Faerie Queen was burned.  You may or may not agree
withese choices, but I think the point that "what was good has been saved"
is not very strong.

I also question the idea of frequent copying of electronic formats being
necessary. I see this as sort of an over the top approach.  At one time in
my career whenever I would recommend an automation project, the response
was "Well you will need x equipment which translates to a really big price.
 So we can not afford it." The x equipment was always orders of magnitude
beyond what I had in mind.  On the other hand, when I finally got projects
to manage,I found that my estimates weretoo small.  So,both sides have
merit.  But our Sony WORM discs were supposed to be good for a hundred
years.  I imagine one could make a CD or DVD that couldlastlonger if there
was a market for it.

The potential for the future is so great, it is difficult to estimate.  I
read that drive makers are wondering what there is to store on the capacity
they expect to produce. Perhaps we have the answer to that question.

So, there will be a discussion on what to save and how to do it.  Many will
ignore the discussion and save what they want to save.  They still find old
films in garages and basements that were thought lost forever.  If only we
had another basement in Egypt.