[WEB4LIB] "Hijacking" Websites

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Sep 23 15:15:12 EDT 1999

I've read a couple articles about this and none of them has mentioned exactly how
one gets "hijacked".  I assume that the bijackers submitted their copied page to
the search engines so that once they were indexed, they would appear along with
the legitimate sites in a listing of search results for a site.  However, most
search engines return the specific URL of a search result - and those pages would
not include the domain name of the legitimate site, correct?  It sounds like one
more step of education for our patrons [whitehouse.gov vs. whitehouse.com].

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI