Help needed: Lost Internet Connection after W98 upgrade

Tony New libtwn at rowlett.lib.tx.us
Fri Sep 17 12:42:32 EDT 1999

Description of problem:

I upgraded a Windows95 machine to Windows98.  After the
upgrade to W98 was complete, I discovered that I had lost my
Internet connection.  I've duplicated the problem on more than one
computer.  The computers in question are in my PC-Lab.

Here are three examples of the error messages I am getting:

USING IE5:

"Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site at <address>.  An
internal error occured in the Windows Internet Extensions."

USING NETSCAPE 4.04 and 4.08:

"Netscape was unable to create a network socket connection.
There may be insufficient system resources or the network may be
down."

USING Windows TELNET:

"Could not open a connection to <IP#>."

Additional Information:

All my computers access the Internet over my LAN and I do not
use a proxy server.  I can open a DOS window and ping my
Internet server and other machines on my network.  I do not believe
the problem is with the applications but with Windows since all
Internet applications I've used report a problem.  The problem isn't
with my server or with the NIC because the connection worked fine
with W95 before the upgrade.  Also, I stripped down the machine
and reinstalled W95 and the connection again worked.

I've checked both the Netscape and the Microsoft web support
sites and the solutions suggested for the error messages I've listed
either do not seem to apply or do not work.

I've run out of ideas.  <sigh>  Many thanks in advance.