javascript overview

laura hudson hudsonl at oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Thu Oct 28 15:53:41 EDT 1999

Hello folks,

Following is summary of answers to my query about javascript mouseovers on library Web sites.  Thanks to those who took the time to reply--you gave me some great examples.  It was suggested by a couple of people that librarians should be able to design web sites that convey the necessary information without using mouseovers, and by another that they are annoying.  I don't feel that this is the case if they are used judiciously, but I am interested in opinions.

Here's a list of Library (and a few non-library) Web sites using javascript mouseovers:

California State University-Chico Library
http://www-new.csuchico.edu/library/

Kenyon College Library
http://topaz.kenyon.edu/depts/library/

Missouri University
http://128.206.46.229/index.htm
http://128.206.46.229/tuneup.htm

National Institutes of Health
http://libwww.ncrr.nih.gov/

National Museum of American Art
http://www.nmaa.si.edu/

Oregon Health Sciences University Library
http://www.ohsu.edu/bicc-Library/index.shtml

Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library System
http://scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us/thpl/about_your_library.htm

Township of Waterford, Michigan
http://www.twp.waterford.mi.us/
http://www.twp.waterford.mi.us/waterfordGIS/