[WEB4LIB] Collecting Stats.

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Oct 26 15:15:57 EDT 1999

At 11:15 AM 10/26/99 -0700, Ed Veal wrote:
>I am interested in finding our what different library report. We are going
>to start reporting stats from our web site, however we are not sure what
>to report. We use WebTrends software to produce our reports. We are
>thinking of reporting the "User Sessions" insted of "Hits". What do you think?

I'd report both in a management summary.  Plus a number of other
things.  I'd also count and report page views, as those are much more
meaningful than hits (or, add a couple graphics to your homepage and
greatly increase your "usage").  What is most viewed, and why?  What isn't
used and why?

Take a look at http://library.boisestate.edu/statslink/index.htm to see
what we report.  Yes, your needs and interests will be different.

I'd be glad to discuss this further, either on or off list, as this is one
of my pet topics.

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165