[WEB4LIB] Re: Linking to Amazon.com for Big Bucks

jlenze at tln.lib.mi.us jlenze at tln.lib.mi.us
Sat Oct 23 12:52:06 EDT 1999

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Dan Lester wrote:

     [ STUFF DELETED ]

> Libraries often sell their names.  Well, they don't call it that, they call
> it "recognizing a major donor".  I work at the Albertsons
> Library....because the Albertsons, Inc. (USA's second largest grocery
> chain, founded and headquartered in Boise) gave us six million
> dollars.  Almost every building on campus is named after some business or
> individual who gave a few million bucks to help build it.  Many libraries
> have named rooms or other spaces for the same reason.
>
> Public spaces are often named for donors or renters of the name.  Many
> public stadia are now named thus.  These are usually publicly owned buildings.

     [ STUFF DELETED ]

This reminded of a conversation I had with my son a couple years back.  He
noticed that most of the Bowl games were named for some corporation or
another, but the Rose Bowl did not.  I tried to explain to him that there
are some things that just can't be bought. "The Rose Bowl, as one of the
oldest and most prestigious bowl games is steeped with tradition that
makes it impossible to put a price on," I told him.  I also mentioned
Tiger Stadium as another example.  Well, both have since been bought by
"corporate sponsors."

--
                          /\
                        / /\ \
  Librarian              |\/|   jlenze at tln.lib.mi.us
  Garden City Library    |\/|   v: 734.525.8854
  2012 Middlebelt Rd     |\/|   f: 734.421.6230
  Garden City, MI 48135  |\/|
                          \/