[WEB4LIB] Indexing a Local Newspaper Index on the Web

Brian Westra westra at montana.edu
Tue Oct 19 19:03:16 EDT 1999

Tony, please take a look at our local newspaper index:
http://fusion.lib.montana.edu/newspapers/

I used MS Access (rebuilding and/or cleaning up data from text files
and DBase files through queries, etc.) to build the database, and for
data entry. Since the database is quite large now, it's dumped into MySQL
with each month's additions. ColdFusion (with Verity) serves it to the
Web. Presently it's not on a full-fledged server, so the performance isn't
always that great. It's a major improvement over the previous version,
particularly the access to a thesaurus, and hyperlinked subject headings;
using forms in Access for data entry has also improved that end of things
as well.

Brian Westra
Assistant Professor/Reference Librarian            westra at montana.edu
Montana State University Libraries                 (406)994-5298
P.O. Box 173320
Bozeman, MT 59717-3320