[WEB4LIB] Re: Britannica Online

glen.davies at cce.ac.nz glen.davies at cce.ac.nz
Tue Oct 19 18:30:17 EDT 1999

> This address requires a login/password and so where does the free come in.

According to the zdnet article
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2376057,00.html
The free access will be available from www.brittanica.com from Tuesday
supported by advertising revenue, but they will maintain the pay service at
eb.com for those that want advertising free access.
www.brittanica.com is dead at the moment so either they have taken it
down to implement the change or it fell over after they implemented the
change :-)

> I tried the website as well and got slow response and no response when a
> search term was entered.--Carol Resco
>
> On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Bill Drew wrote:
>
> > That is because their address is www.eb.com:180.  That is the address they
> > gave us for our webpage.
> >
> > --
> > Bill Drew ; Associate Librarian (Systems, Reference)
> > drewwe at morrisville.edu
> > "SUNY Morrisville...It's All About Where You're Goin' "
> > --

Glen Davies
IT Librarian
Christchurch College of Education