[WEB4LIB] Use of Logos and Tradmarks in Web pages etc.

Nick Arnett listbot at mccmedia.com
Tue Oct 19 11:10:56 EDT 1999

At 07:08 AM 10/19/99 -0700, Paul H. Gray wrote:
>I know the letter of the law gives the owner of a trademark rights to
>determine when and how it is displayed.
>
>Does anyone know of any case law supporting this -
>
>i.e. A library, school etc. being sued by a company for displaying their
>logo without permission.

Trademarks are only infringed if they are used in a way that is likely to
cause confusion, so such cases are quite unlikely and narrow in their
implications.  If trademark holders had complete control, you wouldn't see
advertising that makes direct comparisons between products, for
example.  First Amendment rights are paramount, so courts generally are
reluctant to put restrictions on any sort of communications.

I am not a lawyer, but I try to stay on top of these issues and have edited
and published a book on intellectual property issues for multimedia production.

Nick