[WEB4LIB] NT lockdown

Sue Kamm suekamm at class.org
Fri Oct 15 15:06:12 EDT 1999

Jeanne Heicher wrote:

> Libby, and all,
>
> There seem to be two separate ways of protecting public workstations:
>         1- Lockdown, preventing anyone from doing anything but
>            certain selected activities on the computer
>         2- Protection of the drive, while allowing users the ability
>            to do whatever they wnt on the computer
>
> We always took the first tack, and used Fortres to keep people out of
> everything but the Internet. We wanted people to be able to use
> Wordpad, and Word, etc. but the initial setup of the workstation was
> too daunting for any of us.
>
> Enter Deep Freeze software from Hypertec (in beta as I write). This is
> an example of the second type of security. They are working, I
> understand, on an NT version, as well, so keep your ears open for
> that. I am beta testing Deep Freeze on our new public computers, and I
> now smile when I watch the kids change screensavers, explore the hard
> drive for "stuff," and change anything that can be changed on a
> computer. All I need to do is to  reboot the computer, and it comes
> right back up the way I set it in the first place. This allows people
> to cut and paste from the Internet to Wordpad, and print only what
> they need. Adults and kids can have full use of the computers to learn
> how to use them, as well. Hypertec says it even acts as a virus
> protection, as any virus introduced while the software is activated
> will be erased as a part of the next reboot. The software should be
> available for purchase SOON, as the beta version expires on Nov. 31,
> and will cost about $25 per computer to buy. A really great bargain,
> which is working out very well for us!!!!!!!

The major problem I see is the need to reboot the computer after each use.
While it isn't a problem when you have only one or two workstations, once your
system has more than that, staff will be spending much of their time running to
each workstation to reboot them.

I have been thinking about how librarians can control workstation use,
particularly on those machines which permit unfettered access to the 'net.  When
you go to a self-service gas station, you either give the clerk cash or a credit
card to activate the pump.  When you've pumped however much gas you're buying,
the pump shuts off.  There are two elements that we could apply to library
workstations:  (1) Setting the amount of time permitted, and (2) Logging off the
'net when the time is up.  If this system could be tied into a circulation
system, and a person's use of the computer linked to their library card, so much
the better.

An automatic logoff would prevent the problem many libraries have
mentioned--people leaving sexually explicit sites open for the next person who
uses the machine to see.  Security measures such as clearing histories could
also be built into the program.

Anyone know if this product would be feasible?

Your friendly CyberGoddess and ALA Councilor,
Sue Kamm
email:  suekamm at class.org
If this Nation is to be wise as well as strong, if we are to achieve our
destiny, then we need more new ideas for more wise men reading more good
books in more public libraries.  These libraries should be open to
all--except the censor.  We must know all the facts and hear all the
alternatives and listen to all the criticisms.  Let us welcome
controversial books and controversial authors.  For the Bill of Rights is
the guardian of our security as well as our liberty.
--John F. Kennedy.