Netscape/Helper App Security Problem

David Atkins atkins at aztec.lib.utk.edu
Wed Oct 13 10:24:11 EDT 1999

Hello all,

I'm having a devil of a time figuring out a problem.  Any help is
welcomed.

I'm running Netscape Nav. 4.08 and IE5 on a Win95 PC.  I install the usual
suspects (plugins, helpers) and batsh.exe as the helper to run batch
script files for lan applications. I also have Fortres & Cooler on the PC
but disabled.

The problem:  Netscape reverts to the default "Ask me before downloading"
settings" for Helper applications every time the I exit the browser.

The description:  I go into Preferences/Applications & Edit settings so
the helper app is automatically launched.  It works.  I exit Netscape,
then try to run the helper again and I'm prompted with a dialog box
entitled "Warning: There is a possible security hazard here."  The box
asks if I want to open or save the file and if I want to always be
prompted by said box when encountering this file type.  I say "No" but
this specific setting never sticks.

I've tried tweaking the registry, no avail.  Also uninstalls & reinstalls
of both browsers, the security software, & the OS do nothing.  I found
some netscape prefs.js MIME settings but they don't seem to work in Nav.
4.08. MS & Netscape KnowledgeBases have been searched & found wanting.

Any ideas short of reformatting?

Thanks,
David

David P. Atkins
Electronic Resources Librarian
John C. Hodges Library                            datkins at utk.edu
The University of Tennessee                    me  (423) 974-0014
Knoxville, Tennessee  37996                    fax (423) 974-9242