multi language support

Holt, Richard RHolt at portphillip.vic.gov.au
Sun Oct 10 19:51:38 EDT 1999

I've worked on two multilingual projects for public libraries which I think
list members concerned about these issues might like to visit.

At Port Phillip Library we now offer multilingual web browsing on all public
web terminals in a broad range of latin and non-latin script languages. Both
the projects are based on providing links in a range of languages with
enough information to allow users to work independently regardless of the
language in which the previous user was browsing. (This issue was a major
problem for specific multilingual browsers such as Tango which made them
unsuitable for public area usage).

The two projects are:-
 The Open Road   -   http://www.openroad.vic.gov.au/
    and
SLING   -   http://home.vicnet.net.au/~ppls/sling/lotemain.htm

The Open Road is designed to provide Victorian libraries with a single,
simple to implement, multilingual solution. It includes links in Arabic,
Vietnamese, Chinese (trad 7 simplified), Amharic, Turkish, Hebrew, Russian
and Greek. I feel that beyond the equity issue the provision of multilingual
information on the web is a collections issue. LOTE collections in public
libraries serving diverse communities are notorious, regardless of the best
intentions, for their condition, size, currency and cost to maintain. Where
a supplementary source of information exists that is free and readily every
effort should be made to provide it.

SLING is an older product produced to meet the needs of users in this
particular area (an inner suburb of Melbourne). It incorporates pop-up
instructions on the firly simple action of changing character encoding
settings in Netscape 4 (thankfully the instructions also make sense, to a
user with minimal familiarity, in IE5).

I'd also recommend anyone interested in these issues take a look at these
other sites by Victorian (the State, not the era) library professionals
involved with our projects. These projects run, as they say, on the smell of
an oily rag, so, of course, any assistance, feedback or potential
partnership opportunities would also be greatly appreciated.

Andrew Cunningham's LOTE IT site, acomprehensive list of information and
links at:-
http://www.yarranet.net.au/aceweb/LOTE/ . This site includes papers
presented some time ago by myself and Andrew concerning multilingual web
issues
( http://www.yarranet.net.au/aceweb/LOTE/notesw95/papers.html )

Also Larry Stillman's resources page is an excellent starting point:-
http://www.vicnet.net.au/multiling/

Hope these sites prove useful.
cheers
Richard Holt