[WEB4LIB] RE: multi language support

Charles P. Hobbs transit at primenet.com
Fri Oct 8 16:35:02 EDT 1999

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Michael Sauers wrote:

> > But in IE, some languages do not work well and make a lot of problems. In
> > Netscape, many language shareware or freeware  are available.
> > When you "turn
> > on" the software, it translates the page for you. Some of those
> > features do
> > no compatible with IE.
>
> The only time I've ever dealt with other languages (i.e. Character Sets) and
> IE was with a page in Hebrew which I do not read or speak. The user I had
> said it looked great after the auto-download and install.

In the library that I work for, we use IE 5 on our public workstations. We
have all the language support modules loaded.

Chinese seems to work very well (we get a lot of Chinese-reading users),
although there might be a tiny bug where the default (English) font is
reset. No, all the pages don't come out in Chinese, instead they come out
using the Roman characters in the Chinese font (a wierd looking serif-type
font).

Greek, Russian and Japanese also seem to work well (I just hit a few
foreign language sites to test these--I haven't done extensive tests).
I don't think I have Korean or Arabic support though. But, suprisingly,
Vietnamese worked well (I had had trouble with IE 5 displaying Vietnamese
in the past--kept crashing)