[WEB4LIB] Re: Please help SLJ: Milestones in Library Technology

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Oct 5 15:43:09 EDT 1999

At 11:32 AM 10/5/99 -0700, Bigwood, David wrote:
>The Lunar and Planetary Institute library went online between June, 1982
>and May, 1985.  We had phone in connections in June, 1982.  In May of
>1985 we had visitors touring the library to review our on-line system.
>We closed our card catalog in 1986.  All this was way before the Web.
>There were VAXNet connections, rlogin, and telnet connections to the
>catalog.

I think you'll find that Berkeley and a number of other systems were up
before that.  For that matter, the CARL system was online about that same time.

I think it would also be interesting to point out other early uses of
technology, BEFORE online catalogs.  Automated circulation started in the
mid sixties, if not earlier.  I think Ralph Parker's system at Missouri was
<almost> the first, on an IBM 1401.  Someone else did one on a 1620.   We
implemented one at Bowling Green in 68, and it wasn't the first, though was
fairly early.

There were also the early automated printed book form catalogs, some done
locally (UC Santa Cruz was early) and some done by commercial vendors in
the sixties.

And of course computer printed cards from OCLC and others.

And, one could go back to early microfilm in the thirties....and adventures
with Ultrafiche in the sixties and seventies.....

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165