Linking to Amazon.com for Big Bucks

George Porter george at library.caltech.edu
Fri Oct 22 13:03:52 EDT 1999

We've spent some inconclusive time wrestling with the demons of free
enterprise, revenue streams, fairness and ethics.  Charles Hobbs noted:

If I was building such a catalog today, I'd add <commercial vendors snipped
for brevity> as long as they had an ISBN-searchable database... (I might
even set up a script that pre-reads the pages....)

Acses <http://www.acses.com> does just that.  They do an on-the-fly ISBN
lookup from a wide variety of online book purveyors, international in scope.
Aside from the lame spelling, the service has been useful to me both
personally and professionally.  They have an affiliation program, as well.
They appear to kick back to the referrer a portion of the baksheesh they
receive from the successful hawker of printed materials.  Acses may do other
media, as well, but I have no experience in that direction.

George S. Porter
Sherman Fairchild Library of Engineering & Applied Science
California Institute of Technology
Mail Code 1-43, Pasadena, CA  91125
Telephone (626) 395-3409 Fax (626) 431-2681