[WEB4LIB] Re: Blocking web-based chat

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Wed Nov 24 13:08:44 EST 1999

At 09:09 AM 11/24/99 -0800, josh at saratoga.lib.ny.us wrote:
>I started with Dan's list at http://www.84.com/blacklist.htm. There
>are some problems with that list. I will of course send Dan my
>solutions when I get there - but I'm going to outline it here.

Great.  All solutions and assistance welcomed.

>The main problems are his list doesn't distinguish between chat, games,
>and e-mail. (We block chat and games altogether but simply restrict
>e-mail to some machines) This is acknowledged on the web page. The
>second problem was how to block only the chat services on sites that
>offer a lot more. For example http://123india.com is on his list as it
>provides access to chat and e-mail, but it is also a very good soure
>of information about India.

Thanks for the tip on that one.  The entry you cite has now been replaced
with these three:
http://www.123india.com/mail/
http://chat.123india.com
http://greetings.123india.com

Why greetings?  Because a number of our more inventive patrons have figured
out that you can send multipage emails from a greetings site instead of
just the usual "happy birthday, love, dan" type of thing.  We're not
actively seeking out greetings sites to block, but as we run across them we
add them to the list.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165