[WEB4LIB] Re: Blocking web-based chat

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Wed Nov 24 11:57:07 EST 1999

At 07:47 AM 11/24/99 -0800, Bob Duncan wrote:
>I have no problem with blocking by function to suit the operational needs
>of an institution, but if you block an entire host, only *one* of whose
>services is chat, then you're blocking the non-chat content too.

We do our best to block only the functions.  For example, we don't block
yahoo.com, but do block mail.yahoo.com and chat.yahoo.com.

>(We block
>Web-based email on our public machines but do not block hosts unless mail
>is their only function.)

Same here.

>  Some of the hosts on the blacklist at
><http://www.84.com/blacklist.htm> provide content separate from the links
>to chat---just because there's no wholesale blocking by type of content
>doesn't mean censorship is not at work.

Nope.  Human error, not censorship.  Or change in what the site has on
it.  I changed one of those last month when one of our own patrons
requested it.

>  (I looked at a random sampling of
>the sites from this list when Dan first announced it and found a lot of
>content blocked in the name of blocking by function.  I picked only one
>site today and it contained content aside from chat.)

If I knew what the site was, I would gladly correct it.  A quick look at
the list will show many URLs that are VERY specific, including several
levels of subdirectories and even a file name.

>I applaud Dan's effort at compiling and sharing this list, but blind use of
>it to block Websites means you will be blocking content as well as
>function.  Censorship is censorship regardless of the good intentions.

I'd never block "blind use" of any tool.  Unlike the blocking rules or
lists used by commercial vendors, this list is public and open to the
world.  We continue to earnestly solicit additions, changes,
and  corrections.  So, share the information (preferably off list).

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165