[WEB4LIB] A lesson to be learnt from the britannica site?

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Wed Nov 24 10:37:09 EST 1999

At 04:15 AM 11/24/99 -0800, Hanan Cohen wrote:

>I think there is a lesson to be learnt here, but being a non-librarian I
>am not
>sure what it is.

The lesson is that Britannica was smart enough to grab these names
themselves before some porn sites did.  Porn sites have done that with many
other "variants" of names of major companies.  And variants can be the
inability of most folks to spell, but also common typos (letter pair
reversals, etc.).   Many companies have also been smart enough to grab
names such as "britannicasucks" (which EB bought on 12 May 1999).

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165