[WEB4LIB] Re: thin clients anyone?

Matthew Beacom matthew.beacom at yale.edu
Wed Nov 24 10:02:08 EST 1999

At 07:54 PM 11/23/99 -0800, Karen G. Schneider wrote:
>Before assuming that thin clients are cheaper, price out what it would cost
>to actually implement and maintain a thin-client system--software,
>equipment, training, etc.  You may decide that for your setting, PCs are
>cheaper.

I think that Karen is right about not assuming anything.

At least for me, the chance to consider thin clients as an option to PCs is
new. I think that many of us could benefit from hearing from anyone who has
thoroughly investigated the option or has implemented it. Some time ago, we
moved from using terminals and mainframes with a few PCs for administrators
or other special classes of staff or particular user/reader needs to using
PCs for everyone.  It took a while to develop the experience and gather the
information we all needed to make our choices. Now may be the time to begin
again.

Matthew

Matthew Beacom
Catalog Librarian for Networked Information Resources
Yale University Library
(203) 432-4947
matthew.beacom at yale.edu
http://www.library.yale.edu/~mbeacom