Print queue control

Helga Arlington helga.arlington at adls.org.nz
Tue Nov 23 18:20:43 EST 1999

This library uses a US product called Qcontrol, with which we are rather
less than delighted. Our users pay for printing, and they enter a PIN on a
separate unit near the special queue PC. Queued print requests are listed in
the order they arrived on the queue, and the users, who are lawyers, busy
and impatient, have to enter for EACH print job, a PIN and their matter
number / client reference/ whatever you call it in your jurisdiction. Often
quite long.  This latter is necessary as our clients oncharge for their
printing. We are running the queue product on NT4 on the server, and the
client machines are NT Workstation.

I understand that to group the jobs by originating PC, and allow them to be
released for printing all at once, is a tricky thing to do when there is
only one print queue (oh for UNIX!) but it would certainly make the system a
lot less unsatisfactory for our patrons.

For the record, the jobs are then merged with the results from our photocopy
tracking program in a Fox Pro database, and the clients billed for all.

If there is another wonderful product out there, I will be happy to hear
about it. (Will look at the one already mentioned)
Regards
Helga

Helga Arlington
Librarian