[WEB4LIB] Re: Centering Web Page

Floyd Ingram Ingramf at benedict.edu
Mon Nov 22 17:33:39 EST 1999

You will have that problem of varying displays regardless of HTML editor or whatever.  It is the coding that makes the great difference, particularly those that are advanced of the old versions.  Why not upgrade the browsers.  Do you try to open a document created using WordPerfect 8 in an earlier version?  Does it not work the same for other software packages?  UPGRADE!  It is the challenged of the hardware, too...UPGRADE!  You don't like it and I don't like it much either, but I am keeping up.  I don't like the frequencies of these new versions.  Well, that is one big way to keep work coming for the programmers and profits coming in for these companies, too.

*******************************
MSC 25
Floyd Ingram
Director of Library Services
Benedict College
1600 Harden Street
Columbia, SC 29204-1086
Voice: (803) 253-5182
Fax: (803) 540-2528
E-mail: <mailto:fingram at mindspring.com>
Homepage: <http://fingram.home.mindspring.com>
*******************************

>>> "Thomas Dowling" <tdowling at ohiolink.edu> 11/22/99 09:18AM >>>
> Frankly, I think that Frontpage 2000 is one of the best web
> management programs.  I use it for my site.  What I have found
> that the webpages do not look good on display monitors of PC
> loaded with OLD VERSION of web browsers.  I indicate on my
> website that my webpages are viewed best using at least
> version 4 of MS Internet Explorer or Netscape (specifically,
> 4.08 of Netscape).  Check the monitors, too.  We have monitors
> in our Electronic Reference Center with different displays of
> the same webpage (different alignment, different colors, image
> sizes, etc. than what is programmed in the html document).

Ok, *why* are your pages best viewed under IE4+ and Netscape 4+, and how
bad do they look in Netscape 3.04?  Do you tell your users?  Does FP2K
tell you?  And is it really necessary to have such varying displays at
different workstations?

It's sounds like FrontPage is managing your expectations at least as well
as your web site.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu