[WEB4LIB] should the library webmaster be a librarian?

Nancy C. M. Ross nross at reinhartlaw.com
Fri Nov 19 15:49:02 EST 1999

I think that it depends in part on the structure of an organization and the
way its Information staff are specialized.  I work for a law firm, which has
a information systems department, with a network analyst, systems analyst
and system administrator.  They operate the servers and do most of the
scripting.  I have recently been hired in the Information Resource Center
(library) as Webmaster for the Intranet/Extranet (but not the Internet site,
which is run by somebody else in the company).  I am the first person to
hold this position.  I do not generally provide content (except in my oen
areas of specialization), but I coordinate it, organize it and publish it to
the Intranet most of the time.  I had a strong focus on Internet training,
html, and digitization in my MLIS program.

I browse through Webmaster and similar advertised positions regularly.  I
find that I qualify well for some and not at all well for others. It seems
that there is a fair amount of variability in what an organization means by
"Webmaster". One law firm in California, according to my supervisor, has
three full time "Webmasters" for their *intranet*.  Perhaps they are all
involved in different aspects of the job.

Nancy C. M. Ross, Ph.D., MLIS
Webmaster for Intranet/Extranet
Reinhart, Boerner, Van Deuren, Norris & Rieselbach, s.c.
Phone: (414) 298-8645        Email: nross at reinhartlaw.com