Index cards to web DB, advice needed

David Merchant merchant at bayou.com
Thu Nov 18 15:01:01 EST 1999

Cross-posted to both web4lib and syslib-l lists, please forgive any
duplication.

We have copies of the local paper (small paper), and the school's paper,
we've indexed the main articles on 3x5 cards.  We'd like to have a
searchable database to search the article titles, making it much easier for
folk to find what they need (the present system is fairly useless).  It'd
be great if users could search via the web.  Being somewhat cash-strapped,
we'd like to know if any of y'all had a similar problem, and if y'all
solved it in an inexpensive or even free manner.  Any advice is
welcomed.  I'm looking into MySQL, but wonder if there are any other
alternatives.

TTFN,
David
Systems Librarian, Louisiana Tech University
Javascript list administrator <www.mountaindragon.com/javascript/>
Merchant's Encyclopedia of HTML <www.mountaindragon.com/html/>
Personal Page <www.mountaindragon.com/merchant/>