[WEB4LIB] The first document on the Internet

Fazia Begum Rizvi fazia at swt.edu
Thu Nov 18 09:43:15 EST 1999

At 11:44 AM -0800 11/17/99, Hanan Cohen wrote:
>Hi
>
>I was curiouse to see what is the first document on the internet
>available to us today.
>
>I have searched DejaNews and found that the first posting they have are
>from March 16th, 1995.
>
>Can anyone find earlier documents ?

DejaNews only started archiving posts to USENET (the newsgroup
portion of the Internet) in 1995. I myself was posting messages to
USENET back in 1989 - but those are unavailable through DejaNews.

Sean already pointed you at what may be the earlier internet
documents that are still available today. If there are gopher sites
still existing, they'd likely contain even older documents. Old and
still existing FTP sites may have some older documents as well.

-Faz

Fazia Begum Rizvi
University Webmaster
Southwest Texas State University