[WEB4LIB] Book Jacket Images for Library Web Pages

Brian Smith bsmith at linc.lib.il.us
Fri Nov 12 11:56:10 EST 1999

I suggest that any library thinking about including images of book jackets
in a "featured books" area of its website contact a decent copyright lawyer
*before* asking publishers for permission.

I'm not an attorney, but I suspect that a good case could be made that this
would be fair use under 17 U.S.C. sec. 107: nonprofit educational use,
purpose of criticism and comment, minor portion of book used (unless the
jacket is considered to be a separate copyrighted work), no negative effect
on the copyright holder's market.

Newspapers and magazines regularly include pics of jackets in their book
reviews.  Do these publications seek permission, or do they just assume
fair use?

Brian Smith
Assistant Head of Adult Services
Villa Park (IL) Public Library