[WEB4LIB] Re: AOL browser question

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Nov 8 09:55:13 EST 1999

> I don't know if that's true or not, but when I installed AOL 5.0 on my
> machine (which already had IE 5 and Netscape 4.6), my IE 5.0 suddenly
had
> an AOL icon in the top right corner instead of the usual IE icon. And in
> the title line, there is now a message that says "Microsoft Internet
> Explorer provided by America Online." This same thing happened to my
> Outlook Express. And it didn't go away when I uninstalled AOL.

As recent news stories remind us, Microsoft ties its browser tightly to
its operating system, to the point where A) you cannot run multiple 32-bit
versions, B) you may not be able to uninstall it, and C) you may not even
be able to go back to a previous version.  Given all of that, you can
understand how and why AOL's installation program has to make use of any
previously installed IE it finds on your system.

The "branding" of the IE title bar and logo is actually pretty
superficial, and can be fixed with a single registry fix.  See
<URL:http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q176/7/13.ASP>.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu