[WEB4LIB] Re: Friday afternoon nostalgia

Kirk_Nims at michcon.com Kirk_Nims at michcon.com
Mon Nov 8 09:14:47 EST 1999

I remember sitting around the camp fires on Memorial Day weekends on Flower Pot
Island up in Georgian Bay during the 1970s.  One of the regular campers was my
friend Jeff Ogden who worked(s) for Merit.  [They ran the Internet backbones for
NSF for years.]  The rest of us worked in the Libraries at The University of
Michigan or were in the School of Library and Information Science there.

We often talked about the inter-networking of multiple computer systems and
networks, with this newish Transmission Control Protocol Internet Protocol that
Jeff and his buddies were using to interconnect U of M, MSU, and Wayne State U
in Michigan so the Libraries and educators could share information and
communicate easily.

What I remember most was that we talked about what sort of things might come of
such interconnections and data sharing.  We were mostly concerned about the
implications for Libraries and businesses.

Wow.  Then somebody mixed Hypertext concepts into the whole thing in the late
80s/early 90s!

Kirk