Communicator Preferences

Stacy Pober spober at manhattan.edu
Tue Nov 2 16:30:30 EST 1999

> From: "Andrew I. Mutch" <amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us>
> Several people have reported that when they set the prefs.js file to
> read-only in Communicator 4.5 and up that Communicator crashes out when
> someone tries to change a preference.  Has anyone found a fix for this?
> [I'm looking for Communicator-specific fixes - it works in Navigator 4.08]

We had that problem, too.  After numerous comments from users, I changed
the attributes on the prefs.js file back to writable and simply put a
read-only version in another directory.  Autoexec.bat has a line that
copies the read-only version back in the default user directory on every
boot up.

If I wanted the prefs to be reset every time Netscape was started, I'd
link the Navigator icon link to a batch file that reset the prefs.js
file and then ran netscape.exe.

--
Stacy Pober, Information Alchemist
Manhattan College Libraries